Modified on: Thu, 2 Apr, 2020 at 12:15 PM
What is a Bounce?
A bounce is an information provided by the Push notifications services of the OS: APNS for iOS and FCM for Android.
It is returned if a device is targeted with a push notification, but cannot be displayed because the push notification token is not valid anymore and therefore the push notification cannot be displayed. We listen to this Service after every push delivery in order to feed the message statistics and update the device profile.
In most cases, the bounce means that the application has been uninstalled on the device. We will also receive bounces if the device push token has expired or has been revoked, it might be the case if you offer the possibility for a user to optout from within the application.
On iOS, if an application has been uninstalled and then reinstalled, a new device profile will be generated. Then the previous device profile we return bounces.
The OS documentation explains that a bounce received means the app was uninstalled at 95%. Unfortunately, the remaining 5% are not documented.
In order to cover the remaining 5% and make sure we have the best reach, at each bounce received, we will increment the 'bounce' field of the device profile.
Once the value reaches 3, we assume that the application has been uninstalled. We will take the device out of the segmentation for the Push notification delivery. Of course, if a new session is detected on the device, we will reset the bounce counter and the device will be back in the segmentation.
Moreover, a bounce can also be observed on a device for Android if there is a difference between the Sender ID and/ or Google API Key if your FCM Project isn't the same as the one indicated on our platform (settings > manage application).
If this article doesn't solve the encountered issue, don't hesitate to reach out to our support via this form.
Did you find it helpful?
Not what you were looking for? Try a search!